Saturday, May 24, 2014

Recent Projects: A Doctor Who cake.

When a customer gives me some creative freedom, part of me goes a little bonkers inside. When a customer gives me creative freedom on a nerdy cake pertaining to one of my interests, my insides pee themselves. This order was the peein' kind.

That sounded less gross before I typed it.



This week, I got to do my first ever Doctor Who cake! I thought of a lot of different designs, but when I was told the graduate's favorite New Who episode was Blink, I knew what had to be done. The Weeping Angels are so delightfully terrifying that I pretty much can't resist making them out of cake. To top it off, the customer picked my favorite flavor: passionfruit mango. The cake was packed with fresh mango chunks and a delicious passionfruit buttercream. There were, God bless us all, lots of scraps.

In addition to the Angels, I made a fez (turns out the Doctor's fez has no tassle and thusly looks like a tiny ottoman), some psychic paper, the sonic screwdriver and a bowtie. I even found a circular Gallifreyan writing program so I could write the graduate's name on the board the way the Doctor would have. Highly recommended, by the way. I'm tempted to put my name in Gallifreyan on everything I own.



The night before delivery, my husband approaching me with a disturbed look on his face. He stated that he hadn't noticed the fingers coming out of the painting until just that moment, despite seeing the painting laying out on the table to dry the day before. I can't tell you how pleased I was. In my hubris, I put on Blink as I finished details on the painting. I did not sleep well that night.


The technical stuff: The frame was a 10"x14" sheet cake held up on a wood and stryofoam structure I made to resemble an easel. The fez was a tapered 6" cake, and most of the details were fondant. The piping on the frame and board was done in royal icing, and the painting was made ahead of time and allowed to harden up some. The frame was airbrushed with Luster Dust in King's Gold (which I highly recommend! Holy moly, is that gold color ever pretty) and aged a bit with brown coloring. The whole shebang sat on a 15"x20" board, which is to say it just barely fits in a standard fridge. 

Just remember not to blink, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment